|HMRC is the UK's tax authority, responsible for funding all of our public services including the NHS, schools, roads, emergency services and more.
We are recruiting for a Lead Infrastructure Engineer to work in our Bristol office. This team is responsible for providing, maintaining and optimising the PaaS. Their objective is to provide the means to create, maintain and iteratively improve the highest quality services in Government. We provide the digital delivery teams with everything they need for developing, deploying and improving their services, from the underlying cloud-based PaaS to the tools for collaborative working, performance analytics and live service support.
The platform is built and operated by a number of specialist teams and you will be placed on an established team of DevOps practitioners. We consider DevOps to encompass an approach to work that combines the ability to test, write and review code, alongside the capacity to troubleshoot operational problems in the cloud technologies we use. This becomes extremely effective when operating in agile teams, collaborating to achieve continuous delivery using open source software.
As a lead engineer you will be working alongside experienced engineers as well as more junior colleagues, and you will be expected to share specialist knowledge to upskill others. All coding work will be done as part of a programming pair, and you must be adept at collaborating with others. All code will be stored with distributed source control, allowing wide collaboration across the department and beyond. The tools we use for metrics, logging and alerting, as well as configuration management and continuous integration are all open source, and you will need to be experienced at using these common tools, as well as investigating and quickly mastering new options as the PaaS continues to iterate and evolve.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Develop and maintain design and troubleshooting documentation.
* Improve the reliability of the platform.
* Build, maintain and continually improving the tools that we use to deploy and operate the software that we build. This includes automated build and deployment, secrets management, system observability, monitoring, log aggregation, scaling, and more.
* Develop tools and services useful in DevOps environments such as performance monitoring, security monitoring, deployment/configuration, continuous integration/build servers and cloud resource creation scripts.
You will need the following experience:
* Expertise of at least one programming language, preferably including Python and Terraform.
* Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure.
* Knowledge of containerisation tools such as Docker
* Experience of agile development, software design patterns, Continuous integration, Test Driven Development and version control.
HMRC is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation